Saint Vincent power converters - Do you need a converter for Saint Vincent?

What is a power converter?

Power converters for Saint Vincent enable travellers to use a 100-120 volt electrical device with a 230 volt St Vincentian power outlet.

Also known as: electrical converter, electrical transformer, voltage converter, power transformer or voltage transformer.

What is the difference between a plug adapter and a power converter for Saint Vincent?

An expensive and heavy power converter will transform a 230 volt St Vincentian power outlet to work with a non-230 volt appliance, but a more lightweight and cheaper power adapter (or plug adapter) will change the shape of the plug on your device to slot into a power outlet found in Saint Vincent. [3] [AD]

Do I need a power converter for Saint Vincent?

If you are travelling to Saint Vincent from a different country please double check your device will accept a 230 volt power supply.

  • You will need a step down power converter if you are travelling to Saint Vincent from a country that uses 100-120 volts and your appliance is incompatible with 230 volts. Read the list of world power outlets guide to find out the voltage your country uses.
  • You don't need a power converter if you already use either a single voltage device that works with 230 volts or one that supports dual voltage.
  • Electrical devices designed for a lower voltage (such as 110 volts) and then used in a 230 volt power outlet run the potential risk of blowing a fuse, damage to your device or even an electrical fire hazard unless a step down power converter is used.
  • You won't need a power converter if you are attempting to power a smaller electrical device such as a mobile phone or tablet as these are normally designed for international use and dual voltage, however you should always check the device for dual voltage support first.
  • When supplying power to high wattage appliances or generate heat (such as curling irons and hair straighteners) then you will need to use a much larger higher wattage heavy duty power converter which allows the appliance to be used with a 230 volt St Vincentian power outlet.
  • Investing a smaller robust dual voltage travel appliance could be more cost effective and practical than trying to bring a much heavier power converter in order to use your existing domestic appliance in Saint Vincent.
  • For more information read our travel guides on travelling with curling irons, clothes irons, hair straighteners and hairdryers with a St Vincentian power outlet which includes advice on some affordable dual voltage alternatives.  [3] [4] [AD]

Will I need a power converter for Saint Vincent if I'm visiting from Canada?

The voltage from a wall outlet in Saint Vincent is different to an Canadian supply so you need to bring a if your appliance or charger doesn't support dual voltage.

What converter do I need for Saint Vincent?

You need to use a step down power converter which will allow you to use any 100, 110 or 120 volt appliance with a 230 volt St Vincentian power outlet. [3] [AD]

What voltage does Saint Vincent use?

Saint Vincent uses 230 volts in their power outlets. [2]

How to convert 230 volts to 110 volts

  1. Use a step down power converter to allow you to use a 110 or 120 volt appliance with a 230 volt St Vincentian power outlet.
  2. If the power converter doesn't include the correct shaped plug then it will also be necessary to plug in the power cord from the power converter into a power adapter for Saint Vincent before plugging that into a St Vincentian power outlet.
  3. Some power converters include the ability to perform both step up and step down voltage conversions, therefore it may be necessary to manually switch the converter to output the voltage to the 110-120 volt range.
  4. Plug your appliance into the converter and turn the power on, your 110-120 volt appliance can now be used with a 230 volt St Vincentian power outlet. [3] [AD]
What is the difference between a transformer and a power converter?

Voltage converter

What is the difference between a transformer and a power converter?

Converters and transformers are both used to change one voltage to another, but this ambiguity can cause confusion as their purposes are different:

  • Power converters are designed for simple electrical appliances which typically generate heat or use motors such as clothes irons, shavers or hair dryers. Transformers are designed for more complex electronic items such as televisions or games consoles.
  • Buying a power converter is cheaper than buying a power transformer.
  • Power transformers are larger and heavier making them more suited for permanent residential use; for example an expat wishing to use an imported television would need to use a transformer for this purpose.
  • Power converters are more suitable for travellers wishing to bring domestic appliances abroad such as hair dryers or flat irons. However, it is more practical and cost effective to purchase a dual voltage appliance designed for travel rather than a heavier power converter.
  • Power converters are suitable for 2 pin ungrounded appliances, it could be harder to find a converter if you want to use a grounded 3 pin appliance.
  • Transformers can be used constantly however it is recommended that converters are used for no longer than a couple of hours at a time.
  • Shops may sell transformers under the name of converters, for the purposes this guide we will be referring to both converters and transformers as converters.
How to tell the voltage of your device

Dual voltage hair dryer

How to tell the voltage of your device

The best method to tell if a device is dual voltage is to check for a sticker on the power adapter or on the appliance itself, typically near to where the power cord goes. This location will depend on the make or model of your appliance, it could also state on the box or in the instruction manual.

  • Single voltage devices might have a specific number - such as 110V.
  • Single voltage devices might also have a small voltage range (around 20 volts) with a dash to accomodate small voltage fluctuations - such as 220-240V.
  • Dual voltage devices will typically say a large range separated with a slash - such as 110/240V.

  1. Wikipedia - St Vincentian country Wiki page.
  2. - International Electrotechnical Commission World Plugs
  3. Power converter - Heavy-duty power converters are designed to convert voltage levels between different electrical standards, shifting between 110V/120V and 220V/240V with both 50Hz and 60Hz, often incorporating safety features such as fuse protection and circuit breakers..
  4. Heavy duty power converter - Heavy-duty power converters robust voltage transformation capabilities for designed for high-wattage devices, making them best suited for appliances like kettles and hair dryers that consume a significant amounts of power..