Power converters for Falkland Islands - Do I need a converter for Falkland Islands?

What is a power converter?

A power converter enables travellers to use a 100-120 volt electric device with a 240 volt Falkland Islands power outlet.

Also known as: electrical converter, electrical transformer, voltage converter, power transformer or voltage transformer.

What is the difference between a power converter and a plug adapter for Falkland Islands?

A small, cheap and lightweight power adapter (or plug adapter) will change the shape of the plug on your appliance to slot into a power outlet in Falkland Islands, whereas an expensive and bulkier power converter will convert the voltage of 240 volts from a Falkland Islands power outlet to work with a non-240 volt device. [3] [AD]

Do I need a power converter for Falkland Islands?

If travelling to Falkland Islands from another country please check that your device will accept a 240 volt power supply.

  • You will need a step down power converter if you are visiting Falkland Islands from a country that uses 100-120 volts and your appliance is incompatible with 240 volts. See the list of world power outlets page to see the voltage your country uses.
  • You won't need a power converter if you already own either a 240 volt appliance or one that supports dual voltage.
  • Normally electrical devices designed to work with a lower voltage such as 120 volts and then used in a 240 volt outlet run a risk of an electrical fire hazard, blowing a fuse or damage to your device unless you use a step down power converter.
  • You don't need a converter if you need to charge a smaller electrical device such as a mobile phone or tablet as these are normally dual voltage and designed for international use, however you should always always check the device for dual voltage support first.
  • For supplying power to appliances which draw more power or generate heat (for example clothes irons and hair straighteners) then you will need to use a more expensive higher wattage heavy duty power converter which allows the appliance to be used with a 240 volt Falkland Islands power outlet.
  • It could be more cost effective to purchase a smaller robust dual voltage travel appliance than paying for a heavier power converter to Falkland Islands in order to use your existing domestic appliance.
  • For more information read our guides on using clothes irons, curling irons, blow dryers and flat irons in Falkland Islands which includes advice on affordable dual voltage alternatives.  [3] [4] [AD]

Do I need a power converter for Falkland Islands if I'm visiting from Canada?

The voltage from a plug outlet in Falkland Islands is different to an Canadian outlet so please bring a if your appliance or charger isn't dual voltage.

What kind of converter do I need for Falkland Islands?

You need to buy a step down power converter which allows you to use any 100-120 volt appliance in Falkland Islands. [3] [AD]

What is the difference between a power converter and a power transformer?

Voltage converter

What is the difference between a power converter and a power transformer?

Converters and transformers are both used to change one voltage to another, but this ambiguity can cause confusion as their purposes are different:

  • Power converters are designed for simple electrical appliances which typically generate heat or use motors such as clothes irons, shavers or hair dryers. Transformers are designed for more complex electronic items such as televisions or games consoles.
  • Buying a power converter is cheaper than buying a power transformer.
  • Power transformers are larger and heavier making them more suited for permanent residential use; for example an expat wishing to use an imported television would need to use a transformer for this purpose.
  • Power converters are more suitable for travellers wishing to bring domestic appliances abroad such as hair dryers or flat irons. However, it is more practical and cost effective to purchase a dual voltage appliance designed for travel rather than a heavier power converter.
  • Power converters are suitable for 2 pin ungrounded appliances, it could be harder to find a converter if you want to use a grounded 3 pin appliance.
  • Transformers can be used constantly however it is recommended that converters are used for no longer than a couple of hours at a time.
  • Shops may sell transformers under the name of converters, for the purposes this guide we will be referring to both converters and transformers as converters.

How to convert 240 volts to 110 volts

  1. Use a step down power converter to allow you to use a 110 or 120 volt appliance with a 240 volt Falkland Islands power outlet.
  2. If the power converter doesn't include the correct shaped plug then it will also be necessary to plug in the power cord from the power converter into a power adapter for Falkland Islands before plugging that into a Falkland Islands power outlet.
  3. Some power converters include the ability to perform both step up and step down voltage conversions, therefore it may be necessary to manually switch the converter to output the voltage to the 110-120 volt range.
  4. Plug your appliance into the converter and turn the power on, your 110-120 volt appliance can now be used with a 240 volt Falkland Islands power outlet. [3] [AD]

What voltage is used in Falkland Islands?

Falkland Islands uses 240 volts in their standard power outlets. [2]

What voltage is my appliance?

Single voltage hair dryer

What voltage is my appliance?

The best way to tell if your device is single or dual voltage is to check for either a sticker or numbers printed on the supplied power plug or on the unit itself, typically on the rear of the device or near to where the power cord sits. The location will vary depending on the make or model of your appliance, it should also be written in the instruction manual.

  • Single voltage devices could say a specific number - such as 110V.
  • Single voltage devices might also say a small voltage range (20 volts difference) with a dash to accomodate small voltage fluctuations - such as 220-240V.
  • Dual voltage devices will normally say a larger range separated with a slash - such as 110/240V.

  1. Wikipedia - Falkland Islands Wikipedia web page.
  2. iec.ch - International Electrotechnical Commission World Plugs
  3. Power converter - Heavy-duty power converters are designed to convert voltage levels between different electrical standards, shifting between 110V/120V and 220V/240V with both 50Hz and 60Hz, often incorporating safety features such as fuse protection and circuit breakers..
  4. Heavy duty power converter - Heavy-duty power converters robust voltage transformation capabilities for designed for high-wattage devices, making them best suited for appliances like kettles and hair dryers that consume a significant amounts of power..